Friday, June 27, 2008
As for the po-po reference, I'm pretty sure that at about 2:30 or so last night, Brandon woke me up because 4 cop cars were outside our house working a DUI. Seriously, I do not know why for the life of me that it took 4 officers to handle a DUI. But either way, she was definitely a wasty face. Heehee.
And finally to the egos in the world. Some people have the worst of the worst and I really get tired of dealing with them some days.
Welp, that's all. (OMG, that is definitely a flashback to 7th grade note passing skills.)
Posted by Samantha at 11:14 AM
Thursday, June 26, 2008
- Legally Blonde: I'll admit I was not exactly pumped when I first starting listening to the soundtrack, but this show has definitely put me in the fan club. I watched the musical with Laura Bell Bundy on MTV like the rest of the Broadway freaks out in the world, but still wasn't impressed. I mean it was like watching golf on TV. Okay hopefully now you are with me. Nonetheless, I am now rooting for Bailey, for the obvious reason. She is from the South y'all. I also like Natalie. She is a definite underdog. And Rhianion, she has the best smile/facials. Emma should definitely not be ruled out for the fact that she has the history behind her. But it doesn't mean that I'ma rootin' for her. The same to Autumn as well. However, she is growing on me.
- The Baby Borrowers: I do not watch NBC, unless the Olympics are going strong. But I just so happened to surf there last night and Brandon and I stumbled upon this show. Seriously, it is the BEST form of birth control I have ever seen in my life for teenagers. It basically makes them see the stark reality of raising kids. They get to think about the consequences to their actions. I am not kidding you. You should watch it at least once to watch how they deal with...well responsibility.
- Army Wives: While I do not agree with the war by any means at this point, I still cannot imagine what it is like to give of yourself every day for your country like these women do. This show is probably the best cable show out there. It's a reality check I'm sure for so many people who live this life daily. My respect for my grandma has grown immensely. And my mom and I are glued to the TV every Sunday night at 9pm.
And that's it I suppose.
Posted by Samantha at 3:52 PM
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
- ....a great place for peadophiles and child molesters
*Word is....that at your first day in the lockdown, you have to kick someones butt. Otherwise you become someones ho. *
- ...a place of pennance for criminals. The tales of what go on there are more than jokes, they are real.
*7% of prison inmates in the USA claimed to have been raped at least once. 4% Become somebody's ho-ho. *
- ...a great way of dealing with Pedophiles, R. kelly, and all NAMBLA members.
*In prison, it is considered to be of great honor to kill a child molester.*
Synonyms include, but are not limited to: the slammer, the big house, the pokey, the clink, the pen, the can, the crowbar hotel, behind bars, the lockdown, in the joint, etc.
Thank you. I do what I can.
Posted by Samantha at 12:28 PM
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
- Brandon and I operate on a very limited budget every month due to one income. And every month just when things get too close for comfort, God provides that money that is NEEDED. And I am completely blown away by it every time.
- Apparently, my grandpa and I haven't been on speaking terms for the past 6 months b/c I didn't answer a phone call from him while I was in international waters. I can honestly say that I have never been in trouble with this man in my ENTIRE life. Like I'm talking in all of the 23 years, 9 months and 14 days of my life. So you can imagine how freaked I am about this situation. More details on this situation as it progresses.
- My grannie gets a little worse every day. And by worse I mean ruder. She struggles very much so with the fact that she does not remember things as she should. At this point, I'm the next person that she will "lose." I just wish things would come to an END on this situation. I do not want to remember her this way or my family for that matter.
- Brandon and I have been married for 6 MONTHS. I cannot wrap my mind around that. It is so weird that things have flown by the way they have. It definitely has been interesting to say the least. And I don't mean one bad thing by that at all.
- My rock out music recently has been Taylor Swift and Sara Bareilles. I have no idea how these two artists go together, but I cannot get ENOUGH of them. They both have put solid albums out that by which I am thoroughly impressed. And for those of you who know me well, I sing my lungs out in the car when it is just me. Occasionally Jessi will be with me or vice versa and when I'm with her, it is a Judd's Fest here recently. Yes I'm talking about Naomi and Wynona. But for the most part I'm a solo act. This morning I'm pretty sure I'm bee-boppin' along busting a gut with Taylor Swift on singing "Tied Together with a Smile", and I pass my boss. I would not have known that it was him because I am totally oblivious to those around me, except for the fact that I passed him. I'm one of those eye down people passers. You know, the kind that look you up and down as if to say, "Why yes, I am Billy Bada$$ who just passed you. I'm burning rubber and you can eat my dust." And he has the biggest crap-eating grin on his face because I had the full head bobbin' action going on with my performance (Jackie O sunglasses included). While realistically I was mortified, I just kept on going like it was no big deal. I'm sure he was highly amused. Thankfully he hasn't brought it up today at work. The attorneys have plenty to teast me about as is...I'm sure they don't need any other amo to help out the cause.
- Work is going WELL by the way. I still hate the drive, but I look forward to coming every day.
- My vocabulary has returned to its Southern roots recently Y'ALL. I've been in Small Town, Oklahoma too long and need help. As you can see the y'all inserted without a second thought to go with it. So a road trip is soon to be in the works.
- We spent the weekend in the pool and I got a little burned, but TANNED the very next day.
- And finally, it has occurred to me that there are multiple situations in my life where family members have hurt me...and I never receive an apology for it. I can count 5 people specifically and these are major infractions. Some I've not received for almost 3 years now. And when talking about it with a very good friend of mine about it, she pointed out how the simple words, "I'M SORRY" said/unsaid can have such a power in one's life. For me, it is very hard to work on the forgiveness that we are called upon by God to give to those who have hurt us.
But is forgiveness a one time deal or is it something that we work on every day?
Posted by Samantha at 11:43 AM
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
There are some who are in the Britney camp. And others like my esteemed self who choose Jessica. I like both, however Jessica definitely does things a LOT classier. And so I've decided that our education today shall revolve around the two.
My allegiance to Jessica Simpson has been in effect since she came into the celebrity world. Here are some reasons, why.
Jessica Simpson has been married once and divorced once. She has never been to rehab and has never had any serious drug addictions that have affected her capabilities to take care of other people i.e. kids.
Britney Spears has been married twice , divorced once and annulled once. The annullment occurred within 55 hours of the marriage due to the fact that Britney "lacked understanding of her actions to the extent that she was incapable of agreeing to marriage because before entering into the marriage the Plaintiff and Defendant did not know each others' likes and dislikes, each others' desires to have or not have children, and each other's desires as to State of residency." However, I find that completely ridiculous because she married one of her childhood friends. She has been to rehab several times and has been forcefully removed from her home while the children were under her care. Condescending and judgemental as my opinions are, Britney should be serving some serious time for her actions. Not to mention the fact that her parental rights should be terminated.
And yet somehow Britney manages to stay relevant with all of her ridiculousness. Jessica is fading out in the music industry. And while I'll probably be one of the shameless few who buy her album, her career days are numbered. Sad but true.
But the real reason that I pick Jessica over Britney is something really shady. In fact it has nothing to do with Britney's arrest record or her loser boyfriends that she continues to choose.
Nope I like Jessica better because of her hair. Bottom line Jessica Simpson will always have better hair than Britney.
And that's your education for today.
Posted by Samantha at 8:10 AM
Monday, June 16, 2008
We also watched our wedding video for the first time since...well...the wedding! Everything looked exactly the way I wanted it. After months of post-wedding detoxification, I can honestly say that I was pleased with everything about the ceremony. Now if you compare that to the look on my face during the wedding and you might have thought otherwise. For the majority of the wedding I have two looks, one much like that of a deer looking into headlights or two, completely scared. Either way, not exactly the best photo-ops I'm sure. Nonetheless, I'll say this about that situation, I did not want to cry people. I hate crying in front of people. HATE IT. So that's what the fight of distorted looks that you saw on my face was all about...horrible I know. Silly pride.
And finally today is definitely a day to be spent watching movies and taking really great naps. But I am at work. A serious skip day might be needed soon.
Posted by Samantha at 12:56 PM
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
- Oklahoma became a state on November 16, 1907. ( I am a centennial graduate.)
- Three universities were founded in 1890. They are the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University and the University of Central Oklahoma. There is much dispute about which school was started first. But as any proper Oklahoman knows, "There's only ONE Oklahoma."
- Northeastern State University is the second oldest institution of higher learning WEST of the Mississippi.
- A "Sooner" is someone who crossed the line early before the infamous Oklahoma Territory Land Run on April 22,1889.
- A "Boomer" is an oil man/woman.
- There are 79 federally recognized Native AMerican Indian tribes in Oklahoma. ( I am Cherokee.)
- There have been 26 governors in the history of the state of Oklahoma. (I've met George Nigh, David Walters, Frank Keating, Brad Henry and David L. Boren.)
- Alfalfa Bill Murray was one of the most controversial figures in Oklahoma history. He was the president of the convention to make Oklahoma a state and later...much later a governor. He is known for trying to take down several institutions of higher learning including OU. Ironically Murray State College is named after him in Tishimingo, Oklahoma.
- In the 1930a during the Dust Bowl era, large numbers of farmers fleeing ecological disaster and the Great Depression migrated from the Great Plains and Southwest regions to California mostly along historic Route 66. More of the migrants were from Oklahoma than any other state, and a total of approximately 15% of the Oklahoma population left for California]
Ben Reddick, a free-lance journalist and later publisher of the Paso Robles Daily Press, is credited with first using the term Okie, in the mid-1930s, to identify migrant farm workers. He noticed the "OK" abbreviation (for Oklahoma) on many of the migrant’s license plates and referred to them in his article as "Okies." Californians began calling all migrants "Okies," regardless of whether they were actually from Oklahoma.
Many West Coast residents and some politically motivated writers used Reddick's term to disparage these poor, white (including those of mixed American Indian ancestry, the largest tribal group being Cherokees), migrant workers and their families. The term was made famous nationwide by John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath.
Will Rogers, an Okie immigrant to California himself, once remarked jokingly that the Okies arriving in California increased the average intelligence of both states.
- The E.W. Marland and the Phillips families are among the most famous in the oil industry. You might know their company as ConocoPhillips.
- The Marland Mansion is in Ponca City. (Brandon is from there.)
- The Phillips made several contributions including Wool-A-Roc, the Philbrook, the Philmont and the Boy Scout Ranch in New Mexico. Their mansion is in Bartlesville.
- Will Rogers and Carrie Underwood are among the famous from Oklahoma.
- Carl Albert is the most famous congressman from Oklahoma and was the main man for many years in the House.
And that is just a little bit of Oklahoma's grand history...and your educational post for Wednesday.
Posted by Samantha at 12:06 PM
Monday, June 9, 2008
- My high for today is that I am totally swamped at work. I have projects working out my ears. But I love it because I work so well under pressure. Another high is that I've been watching little kiddo movies...i.e. Free Willy.
- My low for today is that while I'm enjoying the work load, the people can be a little full of drAAMa. And somehow it is the younger people in the office who have a higher maturity level. Go figure.
- And for a more humorous situation in my life these days...a little history if you will. On this day in 1990, Kerry Kennedy (daughter of Robert) & Andrew Coumo (Mario's son) wed. (Yes you had to know it would be Kennedy related. By now, you shouldn't be surprised.)
- And oh yeah, Emily Westb claims to be from Oklahoma. Take that Texas. I knew this would happen one day. I just didn't realize I'd be so emotional. Well all I can say is, I expect you to be learning your state history soon, Missy.
Posted by Samantha at 10:05 PM
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Robert Francis Kennedy
November 20, 1925 - June 6, 1968
At his funeral on June 8, 1968, Sen. Edward Kennedy eulogized his brother as "a good decent man, who saw wrong and tried to right it, saw suffering and tried to heal it, saw war and tried to stop it."
Posted by Samantha at 9:24 AM
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
- I am the oldest in my family. So are both of my parents.
- My husband and sister are both middle children. They also are very close friends of mine.
- I am the oldest grandchild on my mom's side of the family.
- On my dad's side of the family in the last 100 years, there have been 10 sets of twins. Two sets that include my brother and sister and first cousins, Sarah and Amanda.
- I am named after my mom and pappaw.
- Jessi is named after one of those twin sets and our grandma.
- Loren is named after mom and our great great grandmother Sophia Elizabeth
- Will is named after my dad and my pappaw.
- Loren is a double PLBD legacy.
- Both of my grandpa's have served in the military. One during WWII and the other during the Korean and Vietnam Conflicts....as well as the Gulf Conflict in the 90's.
- My brother is the youngest on part of my mom's family and in my dad's family completely.
Posted by Samantha at 12:54 PM
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Well all I have to say is thank the Lord for therapy. I am very glad that her psychiatrist has helped her to pull her head out of her butt. She definitely faced a lot of her "demons" so to speak this very short half of the season. And OMG for her and Derek finally getting together! I absolutely loved the houseplan that she had drawn up at the end of the episode. Very sentimental and yes, I did cry a little. And P.-freaking-S. I absolutely loved that she got the sparkle pager earlier in the season!
Dr. McDreamy...aka...Derek Shepherd
I'll be honest and say that I've had a serious love/hate relationship with him this season...as well as the Derek & Meredith relationship. And I don't just mean this past season. He has definitely been a poop head this season. But when he went to break things off smoothly with Rose, I was hooked. I hope that this relationship lasts for awhile. They need some happiness.
Dr. McSteamy...aka...Mark Sloan
I've decided that I actually feel sorry for this dude. Manwhore completely, but totally upfront with that issue. I appreciate his honesty. And quite frankly the nurses knew that as well. So their whole strike deal was kinda...well a lot...hypocritical of themselves. Unfortunately, Callie has decided she is bicurious at the moment. So he is left with no one.
But I've been thinking about this...how about Izzie? Sit on it a little bit before you get upset about my suggestion.
Denny Dukette Center for 1?...aka...Izzie Stephens
I was very happy with Izzie receiving the Dukette Center. She is after all the one that put it in motion and her heart is there. She seemed to have regained her footing and told Alex Karev off. Thank goodness. Although I don't know where the story ended with her and Karev. You know the part where he begged for sex so he could feel better and stop thinking about things? Yeah...I was not okay with that at all. It sorta seemed like a "I don't know which way I'm going with this" moment for her.
Major Therapy Needed...aka...Alex Karev
I do not like him...at all. There is no way of convincing me otherwise. I'm sorry that his mom went through her problems and that Ava did as well. But going to someone to get some to make yourself feel better, is not cool.
Dr. Heinous Bitty...aka...Dr. Hahn.
I really really really do not like her. I don't understand this hate stance she's had against Dr. Yang this season. At first, I thought it was a little unfair of her to make her take a step back. You know kind of remind her that everyone else gets a turn too. But when it became apparent that it was because she just doesn't like her or Burke for that matter, I say get over yourself. And props to Dr. Webber for telling her how it is. And additional props to Christina for teaching Lexi the stitching that she learned from Burke. And I'm glad we figured out her man-hating issues were due to the fact that is gay...I guess. I don't really know. I can't tell if Callie is bi-curious or both of them are.
Loser of Sparkle Pager...aka...Christina Yang
This has been a half season of humility for this girl. First she gets dissed by Dr. Hahn, then by Dr. Burke and she only seems to fall further down. But two of the things that i loved from her is that she finally showed some emotion/hurt from Burke when she gave her sex survey. And she is going to be a very good teaching doctor....which I still am rather stunned by.
Long lost sister...aka...Lexi Grey
I really am beginning to like how her character is developing. She definitely seems to fit right into the group well. I loved that she decorated the apartment and brought George out of his slump. Letting him know that he was only one point off and that he was destined to be great was the shot of get up and go that he needed. And as we all saw in the last episode, she has begun to develop a few feelings for our dear Georgie.
Big Chief Intern...aka...George O'Malley
I never am disappointed with this character. I mean it. Not even during his Callie phase. The deal with him and Lexi will hopefully turn out wonderfully. And I'm thinking that if he passes his retake that he may be on his way to kicking 2 year resident bootay.
The Chief...aka...Dr. Webber
I think that going back to Adele may not work out for him again. At the end of the day he just can't walk away from that job.
Little Chief...aka...Miranda Bailey
We all knew that at some point Dr. Bailey's world would come crashing in on her. She is the only one who had not taken a blow on the show. She definitely took a step in the right direction with lettting go of the DUkette Clinic. Let's see if she stays true to herself. Like Dr. Webber, she struggles majorly with letting others help her.
and well that's all folks.
Posted by Samantha at 8:43 AM
Monday, June 2, 2008
I'm pretty sure that this is the first time in my life where I have not been in some form of a leadership position in my life. I absolutely hate this lesson of humility that I've been on for the last 5...well now 6 months. Just when I think I am making headway and people are starting to back me, I experience a set back. This is where I struggle the most with the no leadership role. Can I tell you how much I hate the "well everyone has to start somewhere..." statement that everyone always wants to shoot me. I am sick of hearing that. So if that is the line you plan to shoot me, save your breath. And have I mentioned that most of all, I really hate the commute.
I have realized that there will never ever be another Emily Westbrooks in my life. And it has finally hit me...and it definitely makes me sad. When I go to Norman this fall, she won't be there. Somedays I wish I could make time stand still and that we didn't have to grow up. At any moment, I knew/know that I could have a conversation with her and she would know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't have to try to be something I'm not or do something to get her attention to be my friend. Which are both things that I'm experiencing with people that we've met/I work with. I hate feeling as if I have to compete with someone to get another person's attention. For example, it's like a constant competition to see who can find out what first about someone else in a couple of situations in my life. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely a competitive person...when it counts. But friendship is not one of those areas for me. Another thing is that I've been away for the past four and a half years of my life. And I suddenly find my self fighting to fit in in my own hometown. It's like there is this exclusive club and unwritten test you have to pass. Again with the competition, I'm a hatin' it. So for Emily, I am very grateful to you and to all my Norman friends I say the same.
This is probably one of the most consistent areas of my life. Brandon is absolutely fabulous and takes care of me in more ways that I ever give him credit. And the sex is wonderful. Yes I said it.
So there. This is my life lately....totally crappy...no friends that just like me for me....and the drive to work sucks...but married life is good.
Posted by Samantha at 9:17 PM