So, the following are a list of reasons why I like to run or if I'm having a hard time getting myself out there, these are some things that get my rear in gear.
2. The Twitter: For me, posting my runs on The Twitter and Facebook keeps me accountable. It also pushes me to keep going so I can check off a tweet or a Facebook post that I've run.I also have started to make a concerted effort to encourage others I see being active. If you seen someone who goes for a run or hits a yoga or pilates class and then mention it, don't be shy! Make sure to send them a tweet or a Facebook message to let them know how awesome they are.
3. Accountability: My sister and I keep each other accountable. We are each other's person through this journey. We keep each other going and encourage each other on our worst days and make sure we keep the drive to reach our goals going strong. So my advice is find your person. Most likely you'll know who this person is for you already. Have a serious conversation with them about it. Set some goals and limits and then go for it! Also, like I mentioned above, post your workouts on The Twitter or Facebook. If I see it, I'll make sure to say something.
4. Encouragement: I mentioned this in The Twitter section above, but seriously, you have no idea what it means to me when someone says "Way to go!" or "You're awesome!" or "Keep going!" does for me when I log a run or mention that I've lost a couple of pounds.
5. All The Things: Let's be real. Sometimes a girl needs some good old fashioned retail therapy. I certainly am not above buying some new running duds every once in awhile to keep my going. If you feel good about what you wearing, you'll feel good about going for a run or workout too.
6. Stress Reliever: I don't know if you know this or not, but getting a doctorate involves a major load of stress. Guess what makes my stress level manageable? A serious run or even one of my maintenance runs. It's the whole killing two birds with one stone approach. I hit a run to keep up with my half-marathon training ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND I also get some stress and tension out of my system. Now I realize that not everyone's stress is going to look like mine, but I know that you've still got some stress. So throw on your running shoes, grab your ipod with your favorite tunes and throw yourself into your workout. You might even break a personal best record or two in the process.
8. Blogs: I don't know how many times I've watched vlogs or read blogs to encourage myself to keep going. Find women that are similar to you and who totally blew their goal out of the water. These two sisters were a huge inspiration to me.
9. Motivation Board: I am a lover of check lists. It gives my heart great joy to grab my pen and put a line through a task I've accomplished. Know what sends that thrill into overdrive? (Exhibit A -->)
10. Fitting into those jeans or that dress: Everyone runs for different reasons. I'm running for a half-marathon and also it's good exercise to keep my weight loss journey going. When I can fit into a pair of jeans or a dress that I couldn't fit into before because of all the running I've done, it makes me want to do a serious happy dance.
So come on and tell me what you drives you to keep running!
Happy Monday and Happy Labor Day!