You're new around these parts the proverbial "they" call Earth. Currently you reside in my tummy. The last time your daddy and I saw you on an ultrasound, you were moving like crazy and the doctor said you looked like a little gummy bear. I have kind of thought of you the same ever since.
So my little gummy bear, here are a few things you could stand to know your old momma before you get here to the great big wide world.
1. Your mommy - and daddy!- loves you so very much. I know that some day you'll be big and think, "EVERY mommy - and daddy! - says that." But kid, it's so true.
2. Speaking of your daddy, he's awesome. Whether you're a boy or a girl, your daddy is equipped for both situations. He already thinks you hung the moon and you'll know it for as long as you live. He's also really tall. Like a foot taller than your momma. And hopefully, you get some of that "tall-ness." While I've been busy thinking about all the important things we'll need for when you first get here like diapers, wipes, onesies, the nose booger sucker thing, and blankets, your daddy has been planning on what size Nerf guns y'all will need. Apparently, you're going to come out a crack Nerf-gun shot. And if not, well, at least, you know your daddy is going to be lots of fun.
3. I am sure that you'll think at some point that I have life and all the answers figured out. Of course, the day will come when you think otherwise. This period is known as the teenage years. But for the part that you think I know it all, here's my dirty little secret: I don't. When I was 17, I thought I wanted to go to college, then law school, then look for a dude and then eventually have some babies. And well, all of that including you my first baby, but it happened in nothing like the way I imagined it. I went to college. Met your daddy. Finished college. Married your daddy a week later. Worked for a little bit. Then moved cross-country with your daddy to Michigan for law school. And then we found out about you shortly after I was finished with law school. The good news is that even though I don't have it all figured out, I do have a good history of thinking on my feet and figuring things out as I go. So while I don't have it all figured out, I promise to be on top of things as they come our way whether they happen as planned or not.
4. I jam out in the car to all kinds of music. Some day you'll hear it in my belly. And then years from now, you'll be embarrassed to ride in the car with me. I've got news for ya kid, your daddy has been embarrassed by yours truly for a LOT longer than you. So I guess y'all can have a club with memberships and everything, because I doubt I stop anytime soon.
5. You can be and do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it. You'll have to work hard. I know that you're going to grow up in a world that says everybody is a winner, but I'm here to tell you that's not how things work. There is a winner and a loser. You won't win all the time. I know this might sound a bit harsh to some reading this post, but I don't think I'll be doing you any credit as your momma to let you live in "La-La" land. You are going to do something special in this world, but it won't happen without a lot of hard work.
6. You are Sooner born and Sooner bred and when you die, you'll be Sooner dead. Also, Texas sucks.
7. Your grandparents are awesome, but the real fun will happen with all of your aunts and uncles. I can speak to this for both your daddy and I because they were our best friends growing up. And they are our best friends to this day. If there is ever a time where you need to talk to someone that isn't momma or daddy, your momma's sisters and brother and daddy's brothers will be a listening ear and steer you in the direction you're looking for.
8. Summer is one of the best parts of the whole year. But the best part of the year is football season which is why you're due then!
9. A good cheeseburger and Mexican food will never get old. Neither does good music, movies, and classic cars.
10. Outside of your daddy and me, there is only one other someone who loves you more and that's Jesus. He'll be your comfort and ever present help, your Savior, he's your Creator and Lord. He'll guide you much better than your daddy and I ever could. Remember to always lean on him.
There are so many other things I think you need to know, but this is a good start. I promise life with me and your daddy will be lots of fun, but most of all I promise that we'll love you forever and ever.
See you soon.
You've Got Mail
2 hours ago